|ASHTON LAZARUS||Last modified date：2019.05.22|
IMAP/IDOC website .
Field of Specialization
Medieval Japanese Literature and Performance
Research InterestsMembership in Academic Society
- My current research centers on the socio-political significance of "folk performance" (including dengaku, sarugaku, imayō, and kugutsu) in the late Heian period. By focusing especially on performance texts such as Goshirakawa's Ryōjin hishō and Fujiwara no Akihira's Shin sarugaku ki, I reconsider the culture of the eleventh and twelfth centuries from the viewpoint of performance.
keyword : Performance, dengaku, sarugaku, imayō
- Association for Asian Studies
- Modern Language Association
- Association for Japanese Literary Studies
- Geinōshi kenkyūkai
- Marston Anderson Prize for Distinguished Dissertation (Yale University, 2014)